Starting In NYC
So you want to make it in NYC? Excellent. New York is an incredible place to start your career. Everything is here. Media, Fashion, Art, Finance, Tech and more. You can find any job here. Isn’t that cool? It’s just all at your fingertips. As long as you can “break in.” That’s NOT the easy part but it IS doable. With a few pro tips, you can learn how to “make it” in New York.
If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. So Frank Sinatra says – And I think that’s sooo true. It’s a hard market because it’s so competitive, but it really can benefit you if you stick with it.
Here’s How to Kick Ass in NYC:
1. Be willing to start anywhere – even answering phones through a temp agency is a place to start.
2. Network like hell. Getting a job is not about what you know, it’s about who you know. So know good people.
3. Figure out where to live. It’s OK to live in Queens. Frugal can be sexy when you’re first starting out.
4. Put those blinders on to avoid what other paths people are on. You are on your own path. Own it.
5. Move here. You won’t find a job on your mom’s couch in Kansas. Take the leap of faith and move here – finding a job will become much easier.
6. New York is stressful! Establish a routine to make you happier and healthier.
7. Find the deals so you can save as much money as possible – you’ll need it. And be smart with the money you have.
8.Your first job won’t be your dream job. It will be your first job. It’s worth just getting started.
9. Side hustle. If you don’t get a way to express yourself in your day job, find a side hustle where you do.
10. Enjoy your time in New York. However long or short, it’s going to be a ride of a lifetime. Be patient with yourself – it’s worth it to stick it out.
And subscribe to my podcast where I share how you can get started in any market and share my journey for getting started in NYC. It’s been a wild ride so far – one I’m not done with either. I’m still loving the ride.
Listen + Subscribe to the podcast for more pro tips on career, money health and happiness! Subscribe to the newsletter for pro tips directly to your inbox. If you need a bit of help to capture an edge, please reach out to me for coaching, resume revamp or to help strategize your move.
I’m here for YOU. I do this for YOU. I want to help YOU. So please reach out and let me know your questions – I was where you were not that long ago and I worked like hell to get where I am today. I want to give you the tools you need to be successful too.
Go kick ass!
Sign up & stay updated!
Starting in NYC is HARD. It’s hard for anyone. I moved here seven years ago, and after searching unsuccessfully for a job for months, I was dejected.
So you have your sights set on working in a city you don’t live … yet. Great – that’s progress! You’ve identified where you’d like to live (this is better than most). Well done in making decisions – it’s a tough decision to make. Moving to a place you want to live IS doable —…
Have you heard of temp agencies? They are located in most cities and they provide opportunities for temporary work. These can be as simple as filing paperwork, answering phones or being someone’s assistant. It’s not hard work, but it’s not particularly interesting. You don’t take it so you can be inspired. Rather you take it…
I recently received an email from a grad who is going to graduate in December — “I’ve been looking at jobs in NY, but I’ll admit I’m a little bit discouraged. I wanted to reach out and ask you for a piece of advice you have for someone who’s looking for a job in NY….
Click here for more Quick Tips!